I had the novelty to lose my sense of smell COMPLETELY, although, very thankfully, temporarily.
I had changed the filter on my CPAP machine. I noticed with the first use, that there seemed to be an odd scent. Since it was a brand new "sterile" filter, I thought it might perhaps just be a cold coming on.
At the same time, I would occasionally think I smelled gas . . .
In only one location in the entire Condo . . .
On the middle of the couch in the living room . . .
Only when the furnace came on.
The closed furnace room smelled fine and I was unable to follow the scent. Mother and the dogs were of NO help.
The next day I asked Mom's cleaning gal if she smelled it.
"No, well maybe . . . like something burning . . . no . . . it does smell a little like gas."
I called Edison. He finally traced it to a small pilot line to the gas fireplace. The furnace air vents on either side caused air flow so I could smell it in that one particular spot.
Good thing, because by the time I called him I NO longer possessed ANY sense of smell.
NONE, ZIP, GONE
All signs pointed to a Major allergic reaction to MOLD. I immediately removed the offending filter, cleaned the machine to the best of my ability, mean while knowing I will be unable to use it any time soon since I already had probable Mold spores shot up high into my sinuses.
I won't amuse you with the copious and varied secretions and expectorations that followed, but it soon became obvious that the allergies had allowed a virus in too.
Nasal passages clogged, ears popping or refusing to clear, choking on muck, etc.
Hearing often muffled.
Sense of Smell . . . nada.
Not even a faint hint.
I didn't really notice at first that it was completely gone.
Breathing seemed such a priority.
But, one day when my nasal passages were clear to breathe, I noticed that I could smell nothing, not Vicks, not the dill pickles in their jar, vinegar, coffee, nothing.
I started to worry.
My house is all gas . . .
My house is all gas . . .
stove, oven, furnace, hot water . . .
if my dog tangles with a skunk, how will I know?
After a week, I was out running errands, nasal passages clear, I inhaled the cold crisp clean air . . . nope, still can't smell anything.
I returned to my anatomy books and reviewed the location of our smell sensory apparatus. Very top of the sinuses closest to the brain. So it means if I can't smell, then I have to unpack ALL that muck before it becomes cemented in.
Netti pot time. It may be gross-but, DANG IT- it works! Warm distilled water, (lets not introduce the possibility of new microbes with tap water), and - tah-dah, one day later I can smell and hear AND use my CPAP again.