bennington, vt.

Monday, January 2, 2012

home this moment

In short,
Left at 1pm
Thursday
for what should
be a
12 hour trip
2 days to pack every centimeter of the car, up to the tops of the seats, (I could still see out all mirrors).
2 customs check points to get through, (I would have sobbed pitifully if I drew the short straw for inspection, cuz it never would ALL fit in again).
1 border guard after asking if I had any personal protection in my vehicle and I replied 2 small dogs, looked in and asked "WHERE?!"
Always snow in London Ont., I always ask the weather as I cross in, and I SWEAR they said it in August once.
1 -360 right in front of me, the Impala was so loaded she did not even shudder or skid.
2 -5 car accidents in Brantford Ont. slowed my progress a bit.
3rd snow squall of the trip at midnight just past Rochester NY.  Good time to stop and sleep for an hour.
1 engine temp. guage stopped working . . . uh-oh?
1 NY thruway booth keeper and former mechanic said the car was more then likely OK for the rest of my ride and it was probably a loose wire.  He was right on both counts.
6am Friday arrived at my Home.

It took a day to get everything out of the car . . . who knows how long it will take to put everything away.  (not as easy as it sounds . . . the house was set-up for emergency guests, and needs to be converted back to MY living here.  example:  bedroom linen in the dresser of that BED's room rather then in the main linen closet . . . so guests would know what linen went with which bed.)

No matter what . . . I am Home.


4 comments:

Judy said...

Home. Such a lovely word.

Rudee said...

Home in beautiful socks. What could be better?

Enjoy!

Sue Pelletier said...

Welcome home, and nice socks! Been crazy busy (and sick), but we'll talk soon I'm sure.

Alice said...

Yes Rudee, they are REALLY soft too.

Yes Sue, they are very nice socks. Thank you again for making them for me . . . since, I begin to think, I will never be better then really nice scarves.

Yes Judy, it's a great word and a terrific place to be.